You must enable Javascript on your browser for the site to work optimally and display sections completely.
Login My trip
UaRuEn

Church of the Annunciation

The founder of the temple was Prince Yuri Chortoryiskyi (approx. 1540-1626, was originally Orthodox). He recorded "fundus" (in Old Polish law the word “fundus” meant “donate”) for the Orthodox church in Klevan (according to other sources, actually for the church) in 1590, then still wooden. He was the first among a wealthy family of Chortoryski, which in 1598 changed the rite (passed to the union). Own princely yard from the city of Lutsk moved to the town of Klevan.
Like
Google Maps
Add to trip

Church of the Annunciation

The founder of the temple was Prince Yuri Chortoryiskyi (approx. 1540-1626, was originally Orthodox). He recorded "fundus" (in Old Polish law the word “fundus” meant “donate”) for the Orthodox church in Klevan (according to other sources, actually for the church) in 1590, then still wooden. He was the first among a wealthy family of Chortoryski, which in 1598 changed the rite (passed to the union). Own princely yard from the city of Lutsk moved to the town of Klevan.

Faith without works is dead. To prove commitment to Catholicism, Prince began the restructuring of the temple using bricks With the construction of the new church managed until 1610 (according to other sources, it happened already after his death - in 1630). The founder of the construction of the stone church was Prince Nicholas Yuri Chortoryiskyi.

In the first third of the XX century, the temple was decorated with considerable size altar miraculous the icon of Most Holy Mother of Klevan by brush master of the Bologna school of XVII Karl Dolchi century.

In May 1945 began the resettlement of Poles to Poland on the returned territory of Western Poland. The natives of Klevan, taking into account the attitude of the Soviet authorities to religion and religious values, took the most expensive relics from the church and took the icon together with them. About 800 people left Klevan on May 17 and already on June 6 the icon was delivered to Skwierzyna. Now the altar of the Annunciation Church in Klevan is decorated with a copy of this icon.

Architecture: The temple is built of brick and plastered. By type, it is a three-nave basilica, which has an altar apse, a narthex, two rectangular two-tier towers on the main facade. The towers are covered tented roof.

Not only on the facade. The central nave is compositionally accentuated, which is higher and wider than the side ones. The main nava slightly protrudes forward on the main facade. It is crowned by a large triangular pediment.

The facades of the church are strictly simplified and devoid of decor. The main nave is connected with the lateral towers of small corners, which gives the flat, in general, the main facade a little plasticity. Flat pilasters without noticeable architectural accents are used in the decor of the towers and the main nai.

A rectangular bell tower is built south of the church. There is also a brick fence with a gate and a rectangular pediment.

Founded: 1590.

Condition: partially destroyed, restored

Ownership: state

Location: 1 km from the ruins of the castle of Prince Czartoryski.

More
Less
Rates Reviews 0

Rivne Region, vul. Mitskevycha, Klevan, Rivne Raion (district)

50.74603178135242 | 25.97110612399456

Review 0

No review

Attractions

Churches, monasteries, sights of pilgrimage

The Church of the Nativity

vul. Bohdana Khmelnytskoho, 22, Klevan

Forts, castles, palaces

Klevan Castle

vul. Zamkova, Klevan, Rivne Raion (district)

Natural objects and reserves

Tunnel of Love

4-b, Zaliznychna St, Klevan Town

Natural objects and reserves

Derazhne Park

Derazhne

Natural objects and reserves

Iceland "Iepikiv"

Derazhne village, Kostopil district

Natural objects and reserves

Botanical reserve "Vyshneva Hora"

Gorodok village, Rivne district

Other architectural attractions

Rivne Brewery

vul. Kopernyka, 9, Rivne

Museums

Amber Museum

17, Simona Petliury St, Rivne

Other architectural attractions

Rivne Ukrainian Music and Drama Theater

Teatralna Street, 1, Rivne

Natural objects and reserves

Alley of Blacksmith Sculptures

Rivne

Museums

Rivne Museum of Regional Studies

19, Drahomanova St, Rivne

Other architectural attractions

Ostvytsia hillfort

Rivne

Natural objects and reserves

Basalt Columns

Basaltove, Kostopil Raion (district)

Natural objects and reserves

Rivne Zoo

110, Kyivska St, Rivne

Where to stay?

Resorts

Sanatorium "Chervona Calyna"

vul. Lisova, 1, Zhobryn, Rivne Raion (district)

Sign up for newsletters and deals from discover.ua and our partners

By clicking submit you agree to the Terms and Conditions.