Most historical sources state that the founder of the fortress was Prince Ostrogski. The castle was surrounded by a deep moat from the three sides which protected the fortress from attack. It was securely covered by a river from the west. The Ostroh castle could be reached only through the bridge that connected it with the rest part of the land. In the 16th century, the new owner of the castle Prince Bogusz Koretski added new fortifications to the fortress.
Later, during the 17th and 18th centuries, Korets Castle was rebuilt on the model of a palace. After the main princely line died out in 1651, Korets passed through inheritance to a junior line of the Czartoryski family. In 1780, Józef Klemens Czartoryski rebuilt the castle to serve as his main residence.
As Józef Klemens had no male issue, the castle was neglected after his death. It burnt down in the wake of the November Uprising in 1832. Over the years the ruins have steadily deteriorated and by the late 20th century have all but disappeared.
Interestingly, the modern coat of arms of the city of Korets depicts the gate tower of the Korets Castle.
Only ruins of the former castle complex remained. The gate tower is in an abandoned state and is a three-tiered rectangular in plan building. The remains of two-storey buildings are adjacent to it. A viaduct, which was repaired in 2005, leads to the fortress through a castle moat.
An architectural monument of 1550 located on lands of historical and cultural significance.
Condition: partially destroyed
Area: 2 thousand m2
Infrastructure: Along the Kyiv-Chop route. Developed network of food establishments.
Korets Raion (district) Museum of Local Lore
Koretskyi Holy Trinity Convent
Korets is the abode of Christianity
Rivne Region, vul. Kniaziv Koretskykh, Korets
50.617384 | 27.156405