The building, which is also connected with the architect Gorodetsky - Public bank. The institution was opened in 1864. It was one of the first banks in our city. It was established by the representatives of different communities, Cherkasy merchants and entrepreneurs. But in 1865 there was a provincial town scandal. It turned out that the head of the bank took out a loan for 10 thousand, because he wanted to build his own house.
To somehow solve the situation, the bank manager asked Kiev governor to fire him from the office. Once he was fired, it turned out that in fact not 10 but 20 thousand! was taken! Since then, began the development of banking in Cherkasy.
In 1914 by the project of Gorodetsky in honor of the 50th anniversary of the Public Bank there was built the building, where there is now the newspaper "Cherkasy kray" and the Museum of Vasyl Symonenko. On construction year there are the numners on the facade "1864-1914". The facade has also the letter "L" - a designation that the house was built in honor of the 50th anniversary of the institution. It is surprising that a bank could afford such a building in half a century, and before the institution huddled in different facilities of the city.
After World War II on the first floor of the building there housed the workshop of zincographies printing and lithography. It used materials that harmed the building. Therefore, these shops were removed from the premises.
Since 1960's the facility was one of the spiritual centers of Cherkasy, a real hotbed of culture. Here worked legendary Vasyl Symonenko.
Now here is the newspaper "Cherkasy Kray (formerly "Cherkasy pravda" - the first Cherkasy regional newspaper) and "Vechirni Cherkasy." Today, the building hosted a museum of Vasyl Symonenko. Museum room "Cabinet of Vasyl Symonenko", dedicated to the life and work of Ukrainian poet Vasyl Symonenko. Open 8 January 1998 by the decision of the Cherkasy Regional State Administration. This is a department of Cherkasy Regional Museum. Museum room is located in the premises of the building where V. Symonenko worked from July 1957 to March 1960. The exhibition includes rare photographs, personal belongings, documents and lifetime editions V. Symonenko "Silence and Thunder," a children's fairy tale "Tsar Plaksiy and Loskoton" and the works of the poet published in recent years.
Also, the building has a pharmacy museum "Kreschatyk." Private museum has ancient things that were collected from pharmacies and pharmaceutical warehouses of teh region and became the basis for creating the first such museum in Cherkasy. In pre-revolutionary stylized pharmacy premises there are photocopies of the documents found in the historical archives of Kyiv and Cherkasy, among them - the decree of Nicholas I on the delivery of drugs in pharmacies of the city, then extract of recipes of pharmacists and others. On the shelves of cabinets there are old flasks, beakers, jars of old drugs. There is also a pharmacy scales, which are of 200-300 years.
Currently, the building also houses the Gallery of Folk Art.
Cherkasy region, Cherkasy city, 251 Khreshchatyk Street
49.443259 | 32.066613